Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Brain Game

I just played the brain game on facebook, which is suppose to determine if you are left-brained or right brained. The game displays an animation of a grey silhouette of a dancer spinning in a circle and all you need to do is determine the direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) the dancer is spinning. The answer is so obvious, you don't even need to think about it. I spent a few minutes wondering if it was a trick question or how anyone could interpret it spinning the other direction. I gave up after a few minutes and concluded that it could only spin one way. After clicking my answer, the game indicates that it's possible for a person to see it spin in the opposite direction, if you stare at it long enough.

So, that's what I did! At some point, when I blinked, the dancer was spinning the opposite direction. At first, I was freaked out. I thought the game was playing some trick on me and had switched the animation with a similar one that was spinning in the opposite direction. Therefore, I closed the app and re-opened it, but it was still spinning the opposite direction. I figured it wasn't playing a trick, but I was still in disbelief. I then spent the next five to ten minutes staring at the animation until I could force me mind to see it spin in whatever direction I want it to.

The leg that the dancer pivots on depends/controls the direction she is spinning. If you see her spinning in one direction, she is pivoting on a certain leg. If you see her spinning the other direction, she will be pivoting on the other leg.

Check it out! Here's a link:
http://apps.facebook.com/braingame/dancer.php

3 Comments:

Blogger Suckapants said...

hmm..that's interesting. I could play tricks on my mind all day. I find that one thing that helps you see them go both ways is imitating the motion (clockwise/counter clockwise) with your index finger and with it in sight concentrate on both her feet but mainly on the one closest to the ground.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Lady Chang said...

I don't see it counter clockwise at all.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Carminochan said...

I've played this game and did what you did.

What I found that did the trick was when I read some words on the page, it turns clockwise. Now close my eyes for a sec and picture a color, it goes counter clockwise.

:) our brains are sooo cool.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home