Tuesday, January 31, 2006

News clip/update

Here's a video clip from the news:
http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=48578

I talked to the insurance company of the driver and found out she only had $15000 worth of coverage for property damage. This is the minimal legal amount in the state of Texas. My homeowner's insurance will pay for any damages in excess of $15000, except I have to pay a 1% deductible, which is $1700. $15000 seems like a paltry amount of insurance for property damage. That won't even cover the cost of a mid-level vehicle . I don't know if it'll be enough to cover the damages to my house. If the damages are over $15000, I'll ask the offending party to pay for the deductible. Technically, I don't have to claim this on my homeowner's insurance and I could force the offending party to pay for any damages over $15000, but I don't want to do that since it could be very messy. If the offending party decides not to pay I'd have to file a lawsuit to get the money. The easiest option is to have my homeowners insurance pay for the excess damages and ask the offending party to pay the deductible, which would be small in comparison to what they would have to pay otherwise..

I don't actually know how much it will take to repair my house. I will talk to some repair people this week to get some estimates. The insurance company will also send people out to evaluate the damage. If the damages are uner $15000, then I don't have to worry about anything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ray, you got your 5 minutes of fame on TV! I'm gonna record it to show my kid(s) in the future, but too bad they spelled our last name wrong! -Cecil

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool!!! Too bad they butchered our last name. But what's up with your head looking from side to side like you're lost or nervous?!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

I was looking side to side trying to point to the house and to the damage. I didn't know that the camera was zoomed in so close. If it was zoomed out a bit more, it would look normal.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...man this sucks... but I was excited that you were on TV!!! I sent it to all my friends.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home